Header image
 


Shermerville then - Northbrook Now

A BRIEF CHRONOLOGICAL HISTORY

Some of the following information is contained in an unpublished manuscript written by Lee Schinleber. A life-long resident of Northbrook, Mr. Schinleber was one of the many volunteers whose dedication and hard work established the Northbrook Historical Society.

1818 - Illinois admitted to the Union.
1829 - Northfield Township area ceded by the Potawatomi Indians
1829 - Cook County created from Putnam County
1833 - Town of Chicago incorporated
1836 - Northfield Township's 36 square miles surveyed and opened for settlement
1837 - First settlement, Church and cemetery established near Wheeling (now Dundee) Road and Chicago, Waukegan (now Sanders) Road
1840 - First Post Office established - called Sherman
1843 - First Land Patents issued for land in Northfield Township
1850 - Northfield Township organized
1850 - Township population , 1850 Census, 1,013
1853 - Sherman Post Office name changed to Northfield
1855 - All of section 1 and east half of Section 12 in Northfield Township annexed by New Trier Township
1860 - Township population, 1860 census, 1,537
1867 - December 2nd - Northfield Post Office name changed to East Northfield
1870 - Township population, 1870 Census, 1,703
1871 - October 8th - Chicago Fire
1872 - Single track Chicago, Milwaukee & St Paul Railroad begins operation
1880 - Township population, 1880 Census, 1,807
1882 - Shermer Station railroad stop renamed Shermerville
1885 - November 6th - East Northfield Post Office name changed to Shermerville
1890 - Township population 1,855
1892 - Chicago, Milwaukee, and St Paul Railroad adds a second track
1900 - Divine Word Missionaries starts building on Glenview Ave. (name changed from Timber to Glenview Ave in 1900. Now Waukegan Road.)
1900 - Township population - 1900 census, 2323
1901 - November 18th - Shermerville incorporated
1902 - Chicago Telephone Co. obtains a permit to install telephone wires in the village
1902 - Ordinance passed for cinder sidewalks
1903 - Ordinance passed to light village streets
1903 - Notice to be placed on Main (Shermer) Street bridge prohibiting driving over the bridge faster than a walk
1906 - a concrete sidewalk program begun
1910 - Shermerville population, 1910 census, 434. Remaining Township population, 1,590
1913 - Bonds issued for construction of a water system
1920 - Township population 3,438
1923 - Northbrook News began publication.
1923 - The Village of Shermerville changed it name to Northbrook. The name Northbrook comes from the river that runs through town - the West Fork of the North Branch of the Chicago River.
1925 - First Northbrook Days held in Barrenscheen's Grove
1926 - Ordinance passed to eliminate all out houses within six months
1929 - Ordinance assigning house numbers within the Village of Northbrook limits
1930 - Township population 5,387
1932 - The Forest Preserve District purchases 112 acres on the Des Plaines River and 86 lots south of Dundee Road east of Skokie Boulevard
1933 - Works begins on the Skokie Marsh. Several thousand CCC workers camped in Northfield Township
1934 - WPA plants elm trees on parkways throughout the Village
1936 - Culligan Zeolite Company established
1939 - Permits issued to build fifteen homes in Northbrook Highlands
1940 - Northbrook population, 1,200
1945 - Junk yards prohibited in Northbrook
1950 - Once a day mail delivery begun
1950 - Northbrook population, 3,319
1951 - Bond issue for a public library passes by 6 votes - 135 yes, 129 no
1952 - Northbrook High School closes
1953 - Glenbrook High School opens
1954 - Village population 6,013
1954 - Church Street Shopping Center opens
1955 - Village population 8,148
1957 - Construction begins on Cherry Lane underpass
1959 - Cherry Lane Shopping Center opens
1960 - Village population 11,635
1963 - Water plant opens and Northbrook becomes first off-shore community to get water directly from Lake Michigan.
1962 - Second District 225 High School opens. Glenbrook High School renamed Glenbrook North High School
1963 - Sally Probst becomes first female Village Board member
1965 - Construction begins for Chicago Botanic Gardens
1965 - The Northbrook Rotary Club chartered
1966 - Diegem, Belgium becomes Northbrook's Sister City
1967 - Congregation Beth Shalom, Northbrook's first Jewish congregation formed.
1968 - Full-Time Fire Department begins
1969 - Library opens at corner of Cherry and Cedar Lanes
1969 - Northern Suburban YMCA opens on Techny Road
1971 - Dundee Road Fire Station built
1971 - Linda White becomes first female Park Commissioner
1974 - Historical Society incorporated
1975 - Northfield Inn moved from Shermer & Waukegan Roads to Village Green as home of Historical Society
1975 - First addition to the Northbrook Library
1976 - Northbrook Court Shopping Center opens
1976 - The Islamic Cultural Center opens on Pfingsten Road
1977 - Oaklane School closes
1978 - Northbrook Park District purchases Sportsman's Country Club
1979 - Crestwood School closes
1979 - Sheely Center for the Performing Arts opens at Glenbrook North High School
1980 - Village population, 30,735
1980 - Northbrook Symphony Orchestra began
1980 - Northbrook Post Office opens on Dundee Road
1980 - The Civic Foundation allows women members
1982 - Cherry Lane underpass fills to top after major rainstorm on July 23 1985 - Crestwood Place opens
1987 - Wayside Farm, the last working farm in Northbrook sold
1987 - Last Round-Up Days held
1988 - Emergency 911 phone system approved by voters
1988 - Gazebo dedicated in Village Green
1988 - Techny annexed to Northbrook
1987 - Cherry Lane underpass fills to top after 8.41 inches of rain on Aug, 13 & 14
1990 - Village population, 32,308
1990 - New Meta station dedicated
1990 - New Village Hall opens on Cedar Lane
1990 - Recycling begins
1991 - Techny Barns torn down
1994 - Edens Theatre and Strike n' Spare Bowling Alley on Skokie Highway demolished.
1995 - Glenview Naval Air Station closes
1995 - The "Triangle," which was Northbrook's first park, demolished when Shermer Road was reconfigured
1996 - Fire Station #10 on Huehl Road and Station #12 on Shermer Road dedicated.
1997 - Public Safety building at Landwehr and Walters converted for Police Department Headquarters
1997 - President Clinton visits Northbrook to announce Northfield Township 8th grade students tested first in the World in Science and second in math
1998 - Library moves to closed Jewel Food store while the library building undergoes remodeling
1999 - Northbrook Public Library re-opens after completion of a major addition
2000 - Residents approve Park District purchase of 60-acre Anetsberger property
2000 - Bebb Oak named the official tree of Northbrook and the Red Flame Zinnia named official village flower.
2000 - Village Population, 33,345
2001 - Northbrook Centennial celebration
2001 - The West Fork of the North Branch of the Chicago River undergoes riverbank stabilization and beautification
2006 - The American Legion Hall is sold and closed
2008 - Tonelli's Restaurant closed
2008 - Building housing the Northbrook Garage is sold. The Garage is oldest family run business in the state of Illinois.
2009 - Northbrook Garage closes after 165 years servicing the transportation needs of the Village.