Fallen Soldier Memorial
The Northbrook Historical Society Board spearheaded a community drive to build a memorial to remember and honor Northbrook residents who gave their lives in service to our country.
These young men are much more than names and statistics. They are sons, bothers, husbands, fathers, uncles and cousins, as well as, students from our schools, and our neighbors and friends.
They gave their lives for the freedoms we enjoy and until recently the did not received the recognition and honor they deserved. In life, they honored our country and their hometown by their service – now, our hometown honors them.
This new memorial is located on land at the Walters Ave. entrance to the walk along the river in the Village Green Park.
The memorial contains:
- A lighted flagpole
- A granite monument listing the names of those who gave their lives while in service beginning in 1861.
- A child-size sculpture by artist James Haire entitled: “For Which It Stands“
There are several monuments in town dedicated to all veterans. However, the only memorial that lists any of the men by name is a plaque dedicated on Nov. 12, 2007 to the eight men who graduated from District 225 schools.
The plaque is located in the lobby of the Sheely Center For Performing Arts at Glenbrook North High School. Each of these men and their families has a story that should be told. Yet, few at home know their stories or remember the ultimate sacrifice they gave. Until now, they have been an ignored or forgotten part of our history.